Thursday, November 13, 2008

Pumpkin Pie...yum

I decided to try my hand at pumpkin pie yesterday. I've never actually made it on my own, but I've assisted my mom and my sister in making lots of pies for Thanksgiving...just never done it on my own. Well, SM was talking about going to Costco to buy a pumpkin pie this year. I just couldn't believe that he'd want to buy a pie instead of making it. Anyway, I decided to throw this together to see if he liked it.

And he did. And I don't think we'll be going to Costco to buy a pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Pie (Mom's Recipe)

1 1/2 c. pumpkin pulp
1 c. milk
1/2 c. honey (or 2/3 c. sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1-2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs (slightly beaten)

Stir the spices with the pumpkin pulp and honey. Then add milk and slightly beaten eggs. Stir by hand and not electric beaters. Pour into pie crusts. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes then turn the heat down to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. Check with knife to see if they are done.


The recipe is actually not very sweet or spicy...if you like your pumpkin pie with a little more "kick" then please modify the spices and the sweetness. It still makes an excellent pie.

No comments: