Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial Day

SM and I had a wonderful Memorial Day holiday. Belonging to small community means that Memorial Day events are a family, neighbor and community event.
SM and I rode our bikes to the cemetery. We wanted to visit the cemetery before it was busy with lots of people. What we found was that the parade that started at the center of town was ending at the cemetery, where there would be a ceremony.
This was the first group that entered the cemetery...and as soon as I saw them, I started crying. I hate crying in public, especially around perfect strangers, but I really couldn't help it. One of my favorite friends here lost her son in Afghanistan about a year and a half ago. I have seen her struggle to not cry when she talks about her son and his room. My heart goes out to all of our soldiers that give their lives to keep our country free and my heart also goes out to all the families of those soldiers. Whether they return home in a casket or on their own two legs, it is a sacrifice for all those involved. A sacrifice that is for me and my family and for that I am grateful.
Later, as part of the parade, we saw the high school band, a couple middle school bands, different scout troops and many different groups from the military.
That's me...with my bike helmet on...and the picture is far enough away that you can't tell that I had been crying during the parade and also later while listening to the Memorial Day Program at the center of the cemetery.
The cemetery is old and it was fun to walk around and see the dates on the tombstones. Lots of 1800's and early 1900's.
And my cute hubby...behind him you can see people leaving the cemetery after the program ended.

I hope you all had a great Memorial Day and remembered those that have given their lives to protect our freedoms.

1 comment:

Tyler said...

It's fun to see your updates in Ohio! Send me your email address because I'm going to go private with my blog (that I don't update very much).
Danielle