Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day fun - Provo

This year we participated in my family's tradition of visiting the graves of our relatives.  Here is my Grandmother and Grandfather's grave.  When I was little I came to this same spot, just up one grave, to visit my great-grandfather and great-grandmother's graves.  As a teenager, my grandfather died and so we then were able to visit his grave along with his parent's graves.  My grandmother died before I got married so SM has never met these grandparents.  I was very excited for him to be here to visit their graves this year.  This is the first time we've been able to do it since we've been married.

My mom brought pictures from scrapbooks to share information about our relatives so that my nieces and nephews would be able to see whose graves we were visiting.  My sister will probably kill me for posting this photo but I really like it.

Here's my grandfather's name on the wall of all the veterans.  My grandfather served in WWII in the navy.  A family joke about that is that my grandfather got seasick easily and so we used to tease him that he'd turn green just at the mention of a large body of water.  My grandfather actually played baseball for the navy and toward the end of WWII he got on a large ship and headed out to war.  And then the war ended.  I cannot remember if he actually saw any war but if he did, it wasn't for very long.  I am still very proud of my grandfather and his service to this wonderful country.

Here's my brother teaching his oldest daughter how to read the dates on the graves.


Here are all the siblings.  We are just missing my brother that fits right in the middle of the five of us.  As a child every year we would take pictures at the graves and it was fun to see the progression of age as we grew up.  Now we are all grown up and showing this to our children.  I love family traditions.

And here's Mom and Dad...

And the only picture with the grand kids...before they moved.  We are missing one little guy but he was asleep on his mom's shoulder.

I had to add this photo.  Do you see that white stuff on the mountain?  Yep, we had fresh snow fall the night before and it rained during the night.  That is why we are all in coats or jackets.  The weather was only in the 50's and it felt cold.

1 comment:

Jan the Woman said...

My brother just bought a home in Lehi. Such a cute little town! I love that the famous Kevin Bacon dancing scenes were filmed in Lehi.

My blog has officially gone private and I have lost your email address. Would you mind emailing it to jan.southwick1@gmail.com?

Thanks! Love your blog!